The Backhoe loader is a fairly new machine in terms of history; its usage only dates back to as early as 1947, where it evolved from the common tractor. When we look into how frequently the backhoe loader is utilized in modern times, it proves to continue to be an essential piece of kit for many international construction, agricultural and engineering companies.
Within the following Surplus Record buyers guide, we shall cover some of the basics regarding how some of our available backhoe loaders function and some of their primary purposes. Additionally, we shall include some tips and tricks to help with the purchase process of new and used rollers alongside some notes that buyers should be aware of when they are on the lookout for used loaders for sale.
What is a Backhoe Loader and how does it work?
Also known as a JCB or loader excavator, the backhoe loader, is a drivable multipurpose machine which consists of a tractor-like body with attachments to the front and the rear of the machine. These attachments are most commonly fitted as a shovel on the front and a backhoe on the rear although they are interchangeable with other attachments. Backhoe loaders function by using a diesel fueled motor and a hydraulic-fluid system to lift, dig, pull and shovel as desired.
On the Surplus Record catalog you can view a range of used Backhoe Loaders types from known manufacturers including:
Uses and Applications
Loaders are generally used for tasks such as:
- Digging holes and excavations
- Transporting materials
- General landscaping work
- Small demolitions
- Roadwork and construction
- Scrapping earth and other materials
Loaders are commonly found and used within:
- Road work businesses
- Mining and mineral industries
- Landscaping businesses
- Small to large construction projects
- Engineering businesses
- Private property (generally with a lot of land)
Important Considerations Before Buying Used Backhoe Loaders
Use & Maintenance history
Although the majority of backhoe loaders are designed for very heavy use, the regular maintenance and proper use of the machine is important. Before purchasing, try to do a thorough background check on the piece of equipment you’re interested in by visually inspecting the gear, viewing a service record or testing the machine out on the job.
Size of the Machine
This all depends on the type of work you wish to conduct, the regularity of the work to be completed and your budget. Machine motors can range from 74hp up to 148hp plus with the overall mass weighing in at 4000 lbs. to 25,000 lbs. plus. It is important to note that it can be dangerous to use a machine that is too big or small for the tasks at hand, so please do your research! With so many options you will undoubtedly have to review multiple machines to find the best option for you and/or your business.
By using Backhoe loaders and accessories made by the same manufacturer you can help your business and staff to maintain efficiency. Operators don’t have to learn the quirks of each machine and repairs can be conducted more easily.
Many loaders are sold with additional attachments and accessories which may better suit your overall purchase and tasks on hand. Keep an eye out for accessories that best suit your business or projects and/or feel to ask the buyer questions as to what options they have available.
Surplus Record: Tips and Tricks
To help with your search for used Backhoe Loaders for sale on our platform, we have attached our best tips and tricks.
- Make use of our Location Settings: At the top of the page, when on the list for your desired piece of equipment/machinery, enter your desired location and you’ll be taken directly to what we have available in your area.
- Look for an auction: On the listing page, select the blue checkbox on your right which says “Auction” and you’ll be taken to our available products for sale via auction.
- On a budget: Select the toggle “Sort by Relevance” and then click “Price low to high” to view our cheapest to most expensive products for sale.
- Don’t forget the Search Bar: Already know what you are looking for? Utilize our search bar at the top of the website to find specific listings out of hundreds available.
Quick Access: Backhoe Loaders
- Altorfer Inc | Illinois
- Toromont CAT Heavy Machinery | Canada
- Discount Forklifts | Colorado
- Foley Equipment and Machinery | Kansas
Quick Access: Industrial Backhoe Loader Manufacturers
Our top manufactures available at Surplus Record for used loaders include:
Need More Help? Or further information about Industrial Loaders? Then head on over to the “Wanteds” section of our website and select “Buy” at the top and “General Equipment” for the industry. Fill out the form and a dealer who specializes in Backhoe Loaders will get back to you ASAP. It’s free to do, and our dealers are happy to help!